TOwering oaks church
In December 1992 a group of people began meeting in a store front building. We had nothing except determination and a desire to stay together. We were willing to give of ourselves and our money. The Lord began to bless our efforts. More people came. No one was paid for their efforts, at least by monetary means. We were able to purchase 21 acres, and build a 10,000 square foot building. When we completed the building in 1996, the building was paid for. The night of October 18, 1998, this building was destroyed by fire. We then moved to a warehouse which was the old Wal-Mart building. We remained there for over 2 years. On September 16, 2001, we held our first service in the sanctuary of our newly constructed 17,000 square foot building designed to seat 450-500 people. Again, this building was paid for when completed. We have been shown that God has the means if we will only avail ourselves to him.
At our 1994 Christmas Banquet, our pastor, Bro. Larry Montgomery, passed out acorns. He then challenged us to make 1995 the year that we dedicated ourselves to personal spiritual growth, reminding us that a towering oak was once an acorn. The challenge remained beyond 1995 and in 1996 when looking for a name that reflected our purpose and goals as a church, someone mentioned "Towering Oaks Church". From that, the idea developed. It has been noticed by some that there are no oak trees around our church building, so why the name? When we explain our name represents people, not trees; they then understand.
1. We believe there is one true and living God. He has all power and authority in heaven and on earth. He is the creator of all things.
2. We believe Jesus Christ is the son of God. He is the only means whereby man can be saved from sin.
3. We believe Jesus Christ was conceived of the Holy Ghost, was born of a virgin, lived a sinless life, died for our sins arose from the dead for our justification, ascended back to heaven and is now the propitiation for our sins.
4. We believe every individual must be born again.
5. We believe baptism is for born again believers and is an open act of faith and obedience representing the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
6. We believe the Christian life is to reflect the teaching of Jesus Christ.
7. We believe every individual will be judged by God.
8. We believe the soul of man never dies and will spend eternity in heaven or hell.